Ankylosing Spondylitis is an inflammation of the joints of the spine, and those between the bottom of the spine and the pelvic bones, called the sacro-iliac joints. There may also be other inflammatory conditions such as inflammatory bowel diseases.
In severe cases, the vertebrae of the spine may become fused together causing breathing and movement problems. It used to be thought that rest and avoiding putting pressure on the joints was best for this condition. However, it is now thought that maintaining mobility by doing non-weight bearing exercise such as swimming can help the joints become more supple and strengthen supporting muscles.
Nutritional Supplements that could help. (Refer to the individual supplement for cautions in use.)
|Supplement/Herb||What it does||Dosage|
|Black Cohosh||It is anti-inflammatory, mild analgaesic and muscle relaxant.||As directed by maker|
|Meadowsweet||It is anti-inflammatory, mild analgaesic.||As directed by maker|
|Devils Claw||Anti-inflammatory, analgaesic, it also helps improve digestion.||As directed by maker|
|Willow||The natural form of aspirin, pain relieving and anti-inflammatory.||As directed by maker|
|Ginger||Pain relieving and anti-inflammatory.||As directed by maker|
|Green lipped mussel||Good to relieve pain and inflammation, can be applied topically as cream or gel.||As directed by maker|
|Glucosamine||Helps prevent wear and tear on joint tissue and cartilage.||1500mg daily|
|Cod Liver oil/fish oils||Contain Omega3 which is a powerful anti-inflammatory.||As directed by maker|
Diet and Lifestyle Factors
- Eat oily fish and shellfish for their omega 3 fatty acids.
- Sweet potatoes, broccoli, apricots, carrots and liver (not in pregnancy) for their Vitamin A and betacarotene.
- Citrus fruits, strawberries, kiwi fruits, and dar green leafy vegetables for their Vitamin C and bioflavanoids.
- Olive oil, sunflower seeds, unsalted nuts and avocado for Vitamin E.
- Cut down on red meat, tea and coffee to reduce inflammation.
- Drink 2 litres water daily. Try ginger tea and using ginger in cooking.