Coughing is the bodys way of getting rid of foreign matter from the lungs and respiratory tract. Coughs can be brought on by cigarette smoke, dust, exhaust fumes, food that has gone the wrong way and mucous build up after a cold or flu infection. Mucous build up can lead to chronic bronchitis.
Prevention by keeping the immune system in good order and avoiding irritants that cause you to cough is advisable. If the cough is due to a cold or flu infection, support your immune system by taking plenty of rest, eat a good diet and use herbs as appropriate.
Nutritional Supplements that could help. (Refer to the individual supplement for cautions in use.)
|Supplement/Herb||What it does||Dosage|
|Antioxidant complex||To help fight off infection and prevent free radical damage to tissues.||As directed|
|Beta-carotene||Anti-oxidant and boosts the immune system.||30 to 60mg daily|
|Vitamin C with bioflavanoids||To boost the immune system and help heal mucous membranes.||1gm 3 to 4 times daily.|
|Zinc with copper||Work together to boost the immune system.||15mg and 1mg 3 times daily|
|Ashwagandha||Immune boosting and anti-inflammatory||1 to 2gm daily|
|Astragalus||Good for general immune support, for recurrent infections and as a general tonic.||1 to 2gm daily|
|Echinacea||Enhances the activity of white blood cells and boosts immune function.||1 to 2gm daily|
|Garlic||Anti-bacterial, anti-viral it also helps to break up mucous.||1 to 2gm daily|
Diet and Lifestyle Factors
The essential oils eucalyptus and pine can be use in vaporisers or inhalations on handkerchieves. Tea tree can be used to alleviate a sore throat, gargle with 3 drops of tea tree in a glass of hot water.
Reduce or avoid:
- Sugar as it suppresses the immune system
- Refined carbohydrates which contain simple sugars which suppress the immune system
- Dairy foods which are mucous forming
- Alcohol as it suppresses immune function
Increase your intake of:
- Complex carbohydrates
- Vegetables and
- Fruit (especially berries) for their vitamin content
- Nuts and seeds
- Whole grains to provide essential B vitamins
- Garlic and onions which help kill the virus and break up congestion.
- If you have a cough drink lots of water to replace fluids. Try hot water with a dessertspoon of honey and half a lemon 4 times a day.
Homoeopathic Remedies which may help. (Refer to the individual remedy for guidance on the one that is most appropriate for you.)
- Ferrum phos
- Hepar sulph
- Nux Vom