Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) is a naturally occurring, organic, sulphur-containing compound.
A precursor of MSM is formed initially by ocean plankton and released into the atmosphere, where it interacts with ozone and sunlight and returns to earth as MSM in rainfall. MSM can be taken up by plants and incorporated into their structure.
MSM is rich in the mineral sulphur, which has many roles in the body’s organs and systems. There are several sulphur containing supplements such as garlic, cysteine, methionine and Alpha Lipoic Acid, but MSM is the most concentrated source available.
What it does
- Detoxification: Sulphur is needed to manufacture glutathione peroxidase, an important detoxifying enzyme in the liver. Keeps cell walls flexible and permeable alllowing removal of toxins and absorption of nutrients.
- Connective Tissue Repair/Hair, Hails and Skin: Sulphur is necessary for the production of new cells playing an essential part in the synthesis of collagen and keratin, which are needed to make and maintain hair, nails and skin.
- Allergies: Protective to mucosal surfaces of the gut and may help to prevent food allergens from binding and harming the gut.
- Anti-Inflammatory: Sulphur is found in most body tissues and approximately half is concentrated in the muscles, skin and bones. When inflamed, the tissue cells swell and pain results from the rigidity of the cell walls, sulphur can restore flexibility and reduce the cause of the pain.
- Antioxidant: Sulphur is a free radical scavenger that helps to clean the blood stream and flush the toxins from cells.
- Anti-Parasitic: Shown to have anti-parasitic action against several invaders including roundworms, nematodes, Giardia and Trichomonas as well as Enterobius and other intestinal worms. This is thought to be due to MSM competing for receptor sites on the mucous membranes, so that parasites cannot attach themselves.
- Diabetes: Sulphur is a component of insulin and as such, insufficient levels could contribute to decreased insulin levels and blood sugar problems.
- Heavy Metal Removal: Sulphur is ablt to latch on to heavy metals such as lead, mercury and cadmium assisting their removal from the body.
|Detox of heavy metals||Connective tissue support||Hair, skin, nail health|
|Cardiovascular health||Food allergies||Parasites|
MSM may augment warfarin, so the two should not be taken together.
May cause mild digestive discomfort to anyone sensitive to sulphur.